Writing a dissertation to meet your supervisor’s specific requirements is a daunting task. Not only is quality, ethics and preparedness monitored and measured in dissertation supervision but also, it is not rare to come across supervisors who ridicule you for any inconsistencies in your work or slow progress among other things. However, arming yourself with the knowledge of what to expect from your supervisor could go a long way to ensure you get effective and useful supervision, reduce the stresses involved during the period of coming up with dissertation topics, and seeing it through to a successful end.
Your supervisor helps you in coming up with research questions, formulating a work plan, and analyzing results from any conducted studies or experiments. He is in charge of monitoring your progress. Once you are assigned a supervisor for your dissertation module, you may find it difficult to forge a connection especially if they have never taught you or tend to be very busy. Knowing what kind of support to expect from them as well as what they expect from you is imperative to the success of your dissertation. While different colleges and departments have varied expectations, staff and deadlines with regard to dissertations, there are basic things required of you by your dissertation supervisor. These include but are not limited to:
- When you first make contact, give an outline of what you would like your dissertation to involve as well as an initial work plan which shows initiative and need for support too.
- Come up with good dissertation topics and know what to expect by looking at some dissertation examples or getting dissertation help.
- Your supervisor also expects you to know the guidelines, rules and regulations regarding the dissertation structure and entire writing process hence read and familiarize yourself with them in advance.
- Keep appointments, take them seriously by showing up on time and with some develop to discuss about.
- Ask sensible specific questions concerning your dissertation only after exhausting other avenues such as in dissertation guidelines and rules.
- Make the necessary revisions on your dissertation based on their advice. This shows that you value their advice and respect them hence, forging a better relationship and gaining from their experience.
- Plan your next work stage and targets based on your supervisor’s commentaries, advice, constructive criticisms and expectations expressed during your sessions with them.
- Nurture this relationship by also showing an interest in their work and what to do so that it is not an all-take and no give relationship.
- Lastly, remember that your supervisor is only there to offer assistance and not to do the work for you hence, aim at ensuring you are not lazy or incompetent but are actually putting both your ideas and their assistance to work on your dissertation.